Cohesion policy is the EU’s main investment policy. With € 50 billion of EU funding a year, it promotes growth and improves quality of life in all EU regions, and especially in the less developed regions. A decade ago, DG REGIO developed a regional competitiveness index to help regions identify their economic strengths and weaknesses. This index is now joined by the EU regional Social Progress Index. This can show EU regions which of their social issues require more attention.
The launch of this index coincides with the preparation of the next programming period for cohesion policy (2021-2027). As a result, the lessons from this index can be used to identify the key investment priorities to improve social progress across our Union.
The EU SPI Launch Event co-organised by DG REGIO and the EU SPI Pilot project took place on the 2nd of December 2020, with the presentation of the new edition of the EU regional Social Progress Index and the participation of EC representatives and globally distinguished academic speakers. The event was attended by more than 200 people.
Please find below, the event agenda and presentations.
- Event Agenda
- EU SPI Index 2020 - web story, by Nicola De Michelis
- Keynote Presentation by Professor Michael Porter
- Lessons and experiences shared by the Pilot Regions
- Session recording
The new edition of the EU regional Social Progress is index is available here.
- The methodological paper is available here.
- The EU SPI dataset for national and regional scores can be found here.
- The EU SPI 2020 list of 55 Indicators is available here.
- The regional scorecards are accessible here.
- The raw data used for the composition of the Index are available here.